Advantages of Sharepoint
SharePoint is Microsoft’s fastest ever growing product, with many companies using it worldwide. This growth has really begun to happen over the past couple of years, and with SharePoint 2010 due out in May, it is set to continue for a while.
Given the growth rate, there is a huge demand for developers with SharePoint skills. It is a broad product which can be used to create business applications, content managed web sites, collaboration portals and much more.
SharePoint can be used out-of-the-box, but one of it’s strength’s is in how customizable it is. A SharePoint developer can leverage a lot of this out of box functionality and combine it with .NET skills to create highly functional business solutions quickly, easily and at a fraction of the cost of traditional solutions.
SharePoint is an enterprise information portal, from Microsoft, that can be configured to run Intranet, Extranet and Internet sites. Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 allows people, teams and expertise to connect and collaborate. A SharePoint enterprise portal is composed of both SharePoint Portal and Windows SharePoint Services, with SharePoint being built upon WSS. WSS is typically used by small teams, projects and companies. SharePoint Server is designed for individuals, teams and projects within a medium to large company wide enterprise portal.
With the help of SharePoint you can:
- Store files in any format.
- Make files available to all team members.
- Chat in forums.
- Create your personal forums.
- Manage your personal or community blog.
- Create wiki pages in the same way as you would in Wikipedia.
- Create the polls with different complexity levels.
- Create image galleries.
- Manage personal and community contacts & synchronize them with Microsoft Outlook.
- Manage personal and community schedules & synchronize them with Microsoft Outlook.
- Manage personal tasks, department tasks or certain project tasks & synchronize them with Microsoft Outlook.
- Receive messages to your e-mail about all internal changes on the website.
Advantages of Microsoft SharePoint
- As companies grow so does the amount of their files. It soon becomes difficult to keep track of the multiplying documents and their locations. SharePoint overcomes this by allowing you to store and share your files in a central site.
- Sharing work files through email is a cumbersome process. SharePoint eliminates this by allowing files to be stored in one location, allowing easy access to all team members.
- Business Intelligence has traditionally remained in the hands of a few key decision makers within organizations. For years, it has been the goal of BI providers to “democratize business intelligence” by making it available to all levels of workers throughout companies. With the addition of Performance Point to the SharePoint Enterprise version of SharePoint, this vision is realized, finally taking business intelligence out of the hands of the few and into the hands of many.
- Today’s work occurs over multiple locations, whether it is in different countries, office locations, separate departments or at your home office. SharePoint enables teams and individuals to connect and collaborate together regardless of where they are located.
- Surveys have shown that employees can spend up to 20 – 30 % of their day searching for data and information. SharePoint eliminates this drag on productivity by providing the robust search functionality needed to find the information and expertise buried in the thousands, or hundreds of thousands of files a company generates in the course of business.