Cognos Reportnet Interview Questions and Answers
1. What are components of Reportnet?
ANS: Report Net has a three-tier architecture, namely,
(1) Web server (2) Applications and (3) Data.
The tiers are based on business function, and are typically separated by firewalls.
ReportNet user interfaces sit above the tiers. ReportNet user interfaces include
(a) Web-based Cognos Connection, Cognos Report Studio, and Query Studio
(b) Windows-based Framework Manager
2. What are versions of reportnet?
ANS: In ReportNet have two vertions
1) ReportNet 1.0
2) ReportNet 1.1 MR1, MR2
3. What are necessary tasks to install reportnet software?
ANS: You need to do the following for a standard installation process:
(1) Verify your system requirements like RAM Minimum: 512 MB, a Web server installed and started
(2) Review the ReportNet default settings like default ReportNet ports and URI settings.
(3) Create the database for the content store which means you must create the database that is used for the content store using Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, or DB2 UDB. ReportNet uses this database to store, organize, and retrieve information.
(4) Install ReportNet: Use the installation wizard to select the components you want to install and the location on your computer where you want to install them.
(5) Set up the database client for the content store (Oracle and DB2): If you use Oracle or DB2 as the database server for the content store, additional steps are required after you install ReportNet before you can configure ReportNet. You need to go to the 6th step only when installing on UNIX. For Windows above 5 steps are good.
(6) Update Your Java Environment: Before you can use the cryptographic operations, such as data encryption and key management, implemented by ReportNet, you must check that the required JAR (Java Archive) files are present in your Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
4. What is the difference between native SQL and cognos SQL?
ANS: In cognos reportnet
Native SQL is used for the single datasource to import the meta data But we cannot use Native SQL in a Query subject that references more than one Data source in the Project. Contain metadata from single Data Source.
Cognos SQL used for multiple datasources to import the metadata
By default Cognos FWM uses Cognos SQL to create and edit Query Subjects. Contain metadata from multiple Data sources.
5. What is the Difference between PowerPlay transformer and power play reports?
ANS: Power play transformer’ is an ‘MOLAP’ tool using which one can create multi dimensional structure called “CUBE”.
‘Powerplay for reports’ is used to generate report from the cube. Only one report can be generated from one cube. If you want ‘n’ reports you must create ‘n’ cubes.
6. How do we drill through from a powerplay cube to reportnet?
ANS: Setting up drill-through access from PowerPlay Web to ReportNet involves
1. configuring Cognos Series 7 for drill-through access to ReportNet
2. preparing the Transformer model and cube
3. copying the search path of the folder that contains the target report
4. enabling the cube for drill-through access to ReportNet
5. deciding which filters to create in the target report
6. creating the target report
7. disabling the Drill Through Assistant
7. What is the difference between Cognos ReportNet 1.1MR1 & Cognos ReportNet 1.1 MR2
ANS: 1. In CRN1.1MR1 you cannot add filters from toolbar button whereas CRN1.1MR2 can.
2. In CRN1.1MR1 you get incorrect date format when report is executed in Excel format whereas in CRN1.1MR2 you get the correct date format.
3. In CRN1.1MR1 you cannot export Model from FM whereas in CRN1.1MR2 you can
8. What are the steps of testing and how to test reports in Reportnet?
ANS: Generally we do the testing in three ways we find static errors, dynamic errors, and data base errors. we can compare the report out put and data base out put here we no need to check every record with result ,we can write on query on data base on that we can easily find it whether the result is correct or not and also we can do technical test as for the our business rule.
9. How can we create prompts in Reportnet?
ANS: Prompts is mean by the end user can be filter the data.
1. We can open the explore bar and added the new prompts page, and
enter the new name.
2. We can go to tool menu and track prompts button
3. We can select prompts and then ok
10. What are the various file formats involved in reportnet?
ANS: It has six (6) formats in report net. They are HTML, PDF, Excel 2000, Excel 2002, CSV, and XML format. We can see the types of formats in the report viewer on the right side.
11. What is the main advantage of impromptu over cognos reportnet?
ANS: One of the advantage’s of Reportnet, is
1. It is web-based reporting wherein, reports can be easily accessed from anywhere through a browser. By using ipromptu we can use multidimensional analysis to see the data in different formats. i.e we have drillup, drilldown features in cognos impromtu, but it is not possible in reportnet.
12. What are the various file formats involved in Reportnet?
ANS: It has six (6) formats in report net. They are HTML, PDF, Excel 2000, Excel 2002, CSV, and XML format. We can see the types of formats in the report viewer on the right side .
13. Can report net connect multiple datasource at a time in report creation time?
ANS: Yes it can connect multiple datasources at a time when the frame work manager has the Meta data regarding that datasources.