Difference between black box and white box testing
Black Box testing is also known as behavioral or closed box testing. It is a software testing technique in which the internal workings of the item to be tested are not known to the tester or they are not taken into consideration. Black box testing the application without coding / programming knowledge that means the tester doesn’t require coding knowledge. Just he examines the application external functional behavior and GUI features.
In Black Box testing we test the functionality of the application thoroughly with the help of requirements. Here we do not concern about the internal logic of the code. Here we check the system, by giving the proper input whether it gives proper output or not. This work done by the testers.
Black Box testing is based on an analysis of the specification of a piece of software without reference to its internal workings. The goal is to test how well the component conforms to the published requirements for the component.
White Box Testing is also known as structural, open box, clear box or glass box testing. It is a software testing technique in which an explicit knowledge of the internal workings of the item to be tested is tested. White Box Testing means testing the application with coding / programming knowledge. That means the tester has to correct the code also.
In White Box testing we more concern about internal logic of the program i.e. here we check module interface, local data structures, logical conditions on their true and false side, loops etc; designated and executed by the developers.
White Box Testing is based on an analysis of internal workings and structure of a piece of software. Includes techniques such as Branch Testing and Path Testing. Also known as Structural Testing and Glass Box Testing. Contrast with Black Box Testing.
1) Generally black box testing will begin early in the software development i.e. in requirement gathering phase itself. But for white box testing approach one has to wait for the designing has to complete.
2) We can use black testing strategy almost any size either it may be small or large. But white box testing will be effective only for small lines of codes or piece of codes.
3) In white box testing we can not test Performance of the application. But in Black box testing we can do it.
4) In general we have to write large quantity of test cases for White Box. But in black box it’s a selection of sample test cases.
Some of the main differences in Black Box Testing and White Box Testing are :
Black Box Testing:
- Testing the application based on its behavior is called black box testing.
- This is also known as “Behavioral Testing”.
- Testers involve in this type of testing.
- Not required for coding knowledge.
- Only concentrating specifications.
- EX: Functional, Regression Testing, Equivalence Partitioning, Boundary Value Analysis, etc.
White Box Testing:
- Testing the application by using internal structure of the coding of application.
- Also known as “Structural Testing” or “Glass box Testing”.
- Developers and Testers will involve in this type of testing.
- Coding Knowledge must for this.
- Contrast of Black Box Testing.
- Ex: Unit Testing, Code Coverage, Basis Path Testing, etc.