Health benefits of Onions
Health benefits of Onions
Onions are now considered as one of the most important vegetables worldwide. Aside from tomatoes, the onion is the second largest crop that is being produced globally. Onions are widely distributed in North America, Europe and Asia. In some countries, onions are used as an alternative herbal medicine. This justifies that people with different cultures really need onions for their food preparations and its other uses.
The onion comes in different varieties and included in these varieties are red onions, white onions, green onions and the yellow onion. Each one comes with its own unique flavor; a dish can become different if one type of onion is used. Onions can be eaten and used is so many ways; they can be eaten raw, fried, cooked, roasted or even dried. They are popular to use in dips, soups, salads and many dishes.
Onions have many benefits and are often a help to many disorders you may have. From a case of vertigo from the inflammation of nerves to good for your hair, nails, and eyes, onions can benefit you greatly. Other health benefits of onions are:
- Onions are good sources of several vitamins, and in particular vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin E. All three of these vitamins are necessary for standard bodily processes, and vitamin C in particular can help to boost your immune system. This is one of the many reasons why onions have been used in medical procedures and to promote general good health for thousands of years.
- Folic acid is helpful in regulating certain other systems in your body. It is typically found in different types of fruits, but onions are unique in that they contain a hefty amount of folic acid and they are a vegetable. In order to mix up your intake of produce but still get your recommended dosage of this nutrient, consider using onions.
- Onions lowers blood sugar. With the lowering of blood sugar, it is a healthy thing to add to your diet if you are diabetic. There are times when you worry whether you are eating correctly or if you are just raising your blood sugar to the point of hurting yourself. Through eating onions, you can prevent any worry you may have.
- The sulfur in onions has been linked to cardiovascular health, by preventing blood platelets from clogging. It has been also linked to lower cholesterol, something many with excess fat are at risk of getting.
- Many types of onions work to prevent the growth of cancerous tumors stemming from various forms of cancer. In addition to its cancer-fighting properties, many types of onions can increase bone density to help you avoid injury.
- The high content of iron in onion makes it beneficial for the treatment of anemia.
- Fights infection bacteria, including E.coli and salmonella, and is effective against tuberculosis and infections of the urinary tract, such as cystitis.
- Onion juice mixed with ginger juice, black pepper and salt or ground onion with honey helps in controlling asthma and problems of throat, tonsils and lungs.