How Does PageRank Work
The name “PageRank” is a trademark of Google, is a numeric value used for describing the importance of your page on the web. Google refers to this as a method of evaluating the quality, importance and usefulness of your website. The pagerank of a webpage holds a different meaning for different individuals, but it is a major sign of accomplishment for the webmaster.
The best way to determine pagerank is through backlinks. Backlink is a term used to indicate a situation when some other page gets linked to your page. You get voted for each page that gets linked to your website, because of this fact it is always better to have a couple of links to your site from high pagerank websites compared to having hundreds of links from low pagerank websites.
Methods to increase Pagerank:
There are different methods that can be used to increase and improve pagerank, the performance of these methods depends of the subject and popularity of your website.
Submit to the Web Directories:
By far the best method of increasing pagerank is submitting to directories. For this to be effective you will need to submit to a large number of directories and not just one.
Link exchange is the most common method and easiest, it simply means exchanging links with a website of equal or better pagerank than your website. It is also important to make sure these websites are relevant to the subject of your own website.
It is good to be a member of several forums and answer questions often and be of help to other webmasters. It is always beneficial to include a link of your website if you are an active member of any message board or forum. If this forum has high PR, it would help in increasing your pagerank.
It is one of the most expensive methods that is being used by quite a few of the webmasters, which involves buying of the text link ads on websites with especially high PR. There are also sites that offer free advertising, if you have a limited budget this would be a good idea for you.
Publish web articles:
Put your articles on article marketing sites, some of these are free, or allow other website owners to put your articles on their sites as long as they include a backlink to your site. Stay on Google’s good side: Always remember to follow all the rules judiciously and not to cheat. As this will enable you to be in Google’s good books and as a result increase pagerank.
Make a quality website:
If you have made a quality website, the visitors will surely enjoy visiting it and as a result, you will receive many back links without putting in any efforts.
Working procedure of Pagerank:
1. PageRank is only one of numerous methods Google uses to determine a page’s relevance or importance.
2. Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. Google looks not only at the sheer volume of votes; among 100 other aspects it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. However, these aspects don’t count, when PageRank is calculated.
3. PR(A) = (1-d) + d(PR(t1)/C(t1) + … + PR(tn)/C(tn)). That’s the equation that calculates a page’s PageRank.
4. Not all links weight the same when it comes to PR.
5. If you had a web page with a PR8 and had 1 link on it, the site linked to would get a fair amount of PR value. But, if you had 100 links on that page, each individual link would only get a fraction of the value.
6. Bad incoming links don’t have impact on Page Rank.
7. Ranking popularity considers site age, backlink relevancy and backlink duration. PageRank doesn’t.
8. Content is not taken into account when PageRank is calculated.
9. PageRank does not rank web sites as a whole, but is determined for each page individually.
10. Each inbound link is important to the overall total. Except banned sites, which don’t count.
11. PageRank values don’t range from 0 to 10. PageRank is a floating-point number.
12. Each Page Rank level is progressively harder to reach. PageRank is believed to be calculated on a logarithmic scale.
13. Google calculates pages PRs permanently, but we see the update once every few months.
Thus, PageRank is only one of numerous methods Google uses to determine a page’s relevance or importance. PageRank is based on incoming links, but not just on the number of them – relevance and quality are important. The higher the PR the better the ranking in search engine.