How to become a good software tester
A software Tester is one who ensures the quality of a Software product. Software testing can also provide an objective, independent view of the software to allow the business to appreciate and understand the risks of software execution. Test techniques include, but are not limited to, the process of executing a program or application with the intent of finding software bugs.
Software testing can be stated as the process of validating and verifying that a software program / application / product:
- Meets the requirements that guided its design and development.
- Works as expected.
- Can be implemented with the same characteristics.
Software testers work with new software and report any problems with the product. Software testers do not need a college degree or any special training. Anybody can be a good tester, as long as the person is determined to make improvements and consistently follow the latest updates in Testing.
Here are some ways to become a good Software Tester :
- Read about the Software Testing : Try to be on time, read news, use Google Reader, use Twitter, etc. Even if 90% of knowledge considered redundant, sometimes You can make a good impression by showing Your additional wisdom. Second, You’ll have a new ideas to improve the testing process.
- Have some experience as a developer : Having experience of programming or programming in parallel to testing is a very good practice. Allows you to predict some errors before detecting them in the testing process. Often we can identify in which area error may occur and the type of these bugs, knowing only a description of functional changes. If you have a good relationship with the developers we can often give them a hint or find a possible solution on how to solve the problem building relations.
- Automate but do not rely on : Automation is nice, but in excess can lead to acceptance of the program, which is correct but completely useless to the user. Test automation will help you obtain confidence that the core application functionality is running, real testing will give you a general sense of good job.
- Live in accordance with programmers : Try to make quality and programming department a team aimed to produce a good application. Reporting the number of errors per developer is very bad practice. Try to treat the errors in the test phase as another experience for you and for developer. If you see that one developer has some troubles producing error-less code, first talk to him then talk to his manager.
- Ahead of the facts and take an active part in the project : Try to participate in the design of new functionality, often your advise will later reduce the number of errors. Discover more about the whole project team, become a consultant.
- Learn the critical application functionality : You have to know the critical path of the application, the path that is most often performed by the user, it is the most important business process. Putting special emphasis on that functionality when creating scenarios and testers training, increase the certainty that the application is acceptable and there is no critical errors.
- Always have Usability in your mind : High software quality does not only means that application is free from errors but above all, ensure us that the usability is also at high level. Use usability testing and usability inspections treat usability as a target. Try to eliminate redundant application paths, do it at early stages of development, do it still, then you will have higher usability and error will be easier to detect.