How to become Oracle DBA
Oracle database requires at least one database administrator (DBA) to administrate it. Because an Oracle database system can be large and can have many users, so this is not a one person job. In such cases, there is a group of DBAs who will share responsibility.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Database Administrator
- Installing and upgrading the Oracle server and application tools
- Allocating system storage and planning future storage requirements for the database system
- Creating primary database storage structures (table spaces) after application developers have designed an application
- Creating primary objects (tables, views, indexes) once application developers have designed an application
- Modifying the database structure, as necessary, from information given by application developers
- Enrolling users and maintaining system security
- Ensuring compliance with your Oracle license agreement
- Controlling and monitoring user access to the database
- Monitoring and optimizing the performance of the database
- Planning for backup and recovery of database information
- Maintaining archived data on tape
- Backing up and restoring the database
- Contacting Oracle Corporation for technical support
How to become a Oracle DBA ?
- Oracle is one of the world’s largest companies that develop software for conducting business. It is probably even the world’s largest business software company with the wide array of software products that it has on offer and keeps adding to it bouquet of offerings.
- An Oracle DBA is one who is professionally trained to work on several of Oracles’ software products, utilities and tools. An Oracle DBA should also be sufficiently trained to handle data administration tasks and most of this training is gained by live experience.
- Since the role of a DBA involves constant interaction with users and developers, they must have excellent communication skills in terms of both verbal and writing skills.
- A degree in Business Administration or Computer Science is desired together with good understanding business processes.
- It is important to have one or both of Oracle certifications, namely, OCP and OCM.
- Knowledge of technologies like Java and Oracle Server is very essential to excel in this field.
- You must have very good analytical and problem-solving skills, as a DBAs day can be encountered with unexpected challenging problems
- A computer science degree or degree information systems will also boost your chances. Employers usually prefer candidates with both computer science and MBA degree as it is important to understand business areas such as accounting, finance and marketing.
- Develop or gain experience in a broad range of database systems such as OLTP, OLAP and batch databases.
- Gain as much experience as possible by working for free for non-profit organizations.
- Network with people who are already in the industry, this will give you a real world knowledge of how best you can prepare for this job.
For Oracle DBA Online training please log on to http://www.revanthtechnologies.com