Oracles DBA (database administrator) Job description
Oracle DBA (database administrator) is responsible in supporting oracle databases and ensure their availability, performance and security. Database Administrator implements, maintains and designs Oracle databases in support of the development and installation of new systems and enhancements to existing systems.
The DBA job is a mid-level management position with responsibility for a company’s all-important data resources, a mission-critical management job.
Oracle database administrators mostly work in well-lit and well ventilated work settings. They may also work in long hours depending on the system they are working. A good skill in computer science is essential in this type of career. To pursue a career as Oracle database administrators the candidates are required to earn a bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems or MIS or Computer Science along with Oracle DBS certification for programs in database software.
The typical responsibilities of a database administrator are divided among several positions such as:
Database Administrator (DBA)
Oracle Database Administrator
SQL Server Database Administrator
SQL Server DBA
Database Administrators: Work with business areas to set up and maintain their databases. They are concerned with database objects like tables, indexes, tablespaces, stored procedures, etc.
Database Systems Administrators: Responsible for supporting the database system itself. These individuals are concerned with the actual code that runs the database and how that integrates with the platforms on which it runs and the applications trying to access data from a database.
Database Designer: Help business areas design their databases. They determine which tables are needed and how those tables should relate to one another.
But general Job responsibilities of Oracle DBA are as follows:
1. An oracle DBA is responsible in providing analysis to their team or service management in order to make adequate informed decision regarding the resource management.
2. Oracle Database Administrator also tasked in problem escalation to their oracle development team, 3rd parties, maintenance and improvement of databases which include upgrades and rollout. They implement and release some database changes that are submitted by their development team. They ensure performance and availability of the oracle databases which generally support their system.
3. DBA will be responsible for activities that relate directly to supporting the application environments within a database.
4. An oracle DBA works with its team so as to ensure their associated hardware resources are well-allocated to their databases and promote optimum performance and high availability. They also monitor their system database in order to make sure that services are secured with a minimum downtime.
5. Oracle database administrators utilize some database software in order to manage and store information. They usually set-up databases system and make certain that the systems run efficiently. They make sure that the data stored is regularly backed-up, effectively stored and secure the data from any unauthorized access.
6. The Oracle database administrators make well-thought-out decisions on complex or ambiguous administrative and support issues by coordinating with associates to determine requirements.
7. DBA’s ensures that system improvements are successfully implemented and monitored to increase efficiency.
8. Oracle DBA‘s contributes overall strategic vision and integrates a broad ranges of ideas regarding support issues. They undertake complex projects requiring additional specialized technical knowledge.