Tips for Summer Hair Care
Summer may bring glorious visions of natural highlights and long windblown hair. Summer sun, spiraling hot temperatures and related humidity may damage your hair’s cuticle resulting in dry, drab, split, brittle or frizzy hair and ragged ends. Proper preventative steps need to be taken during summer season to ensure that your hair does not get damaged.
1. Washing your hair every day is the only effective way to make your hair and scalp healthier. Consider switching to a more moisturizing and gentle shampoos since hair needs to be treated more gently during the summer.
2. Wear a scarf, hat or cap to protect your hair from the sun but make sure that it’s not so tight where it will restrict circulation in your scalp. use a leave in conditioner with sunscreen in it before you go out, if you know you are going to be in the sun for a long time.
3. Depending on your hair type, texture and condition you may wish to consider avoiding hair care products which contain known ingredients (some forms of alcohol) which may be drying to some type, textures or condition of hair. So consider hair care products which are as natural as possible.
4. Limit your use of “hot” items on your hair such as a blow dryers and curling irons and give your hair a rest during summer season. Applying excessive heat on your hair can cause you to have split and frayed ends. If it is a must to use a heated appliance, apply a heat protectant beforehand. This product will prevent the heat of your styling tool from damaging your hair.
5. Deep conditioning at least once a week can help your hair maintain its optimal level of moisture. Applying a leave-in conditioner after washing can ensure that future rays of the sun do not negatively affect your hair.
6. Avoid coloring your hair, because the UV rays in the sun can damage colored hair more than uncolored hair. Protect your current color by applying a clear, semi-permanent glaze over it. The glaze will help prevent your hair color from fading in the sun.
7. Keep your hair knotted or wear buns or plats to avoid total exposure to sun and thus control frizzes.
8. Avoid taking hot showers or washing your hair in hot water. Use warm or cool water instead; the heat can dry out and/or damage your hair and skin.
9. Get your hair trimmed every six to eight weeks. Your hair grows faster in the warmer months and frizzies are more common in the summer months due to the heat and moisture. By getting your hair trimmed often, you can eliminate a lot of split ends and damaged hair.
10. Drink plenty of water, eat a healthy balanced diet. Don’t cut the protein or fat too much, as it will show in your hair damage.
11. Rinse your hair immediately with fresh water when stepping out of the swimming pool during summer.
12. During summers another hair problem is that of oily dandruff. To meet up to your dry scalp the follicles produce their own natural oils and if your hair is not cleaned well, the dirt tends to stick to the scalp. Thus, giving rise to dandruff by cleaning your hair thoroughly.
13. Stay away from hair lighteners that contain peroxide. Peroxide can cause damage to your hair and change the color drastically.