What is Android
Android is a mobile phone operating system developed by the search provider Google that is used on a wide variety of smart phones. The android application development market is the fastest growing market in mobile technology with majority of its developers. Mobile application developers use the android software development kit and the android native development kit for android application development.
Android is a comprehensive open source platform designed for mobile devices. For developers, Android provides all the tools and frameworks for developing mobile apps quickly and easily. Android is built on top of Linux. Linux is a great operating system and the poster child of open source.
The Android platform is licensed under one of the most progressive open-source licenses available giving operators and manufacturers unprecedented freedom to design, build and distribute their own products.
Android is a software stack for mobile devices that includes an operating system, middleware and key applications. The Android SDK provides the tools and APIs necessary to begin developing applications on the Android platform using the Java programming language.
Features of Android:
1. The Android platform features 3-D graphics powered by OpenGL ES 1.0 and a 2-D graphics library. Each app runs its own Linux process, independent of other applications, for more efficiency and less memory use.
2. Application framework enabling reuse and replacement of components.
3. Dalvik virtual machine optimized for mobile devices.
4. Integrated browser based on the open source WebKit engine.
5. Optimized graphics powered by a custom 2D graphics library; 3D graphics based on the OpenGL ES 1.0 specification (hardware acceleration optional)
6. SQLite for structured data storage.
7. Media support for common audio, video, and still image formats.
8. GSM Telephony (hardware dependent).
9. Bluetooth, EDGE, 3G, and WiFi (hardware dependent).
10. Camera, GPS, compass, and accelerometer (hardware dependent)
11. Rich development environment including a device emulator, tools for debugging, memory and performance profiling, and a plugin for the Eclipse IDE.
The Android platform will consist of an operating system, middleware, a user-friendly interface and powerful applications. This fully integrated bundle of software will significantly lower the current costs of developing mobile devices and services.
Android will ship with a set of core applications including an email client, SMS program, calendar, maps, browser, contacts, and others. All applications are written using the Java programming language.
Thus, Android will greatly improve and speed up the process in which new and innovative mobile services are development and made available to the end user.