How to Backup Salesforce
Salesforce is an innovative cloud based service that enables companies to manage sales and customer relations without the need for heavy software. It is one of the best cloud services out there and companies all over the world use it daily. Salesforce is a powerful tool that holds vital information for the growth of any company that uses it. Considering the nature of this data, a Salesforce backup is invaluable.
Salesforce Backup – a Few Reasons Why to do it
The global nature of business these days is creating versatile companies with trans-Atlantic sales teams that need to stay on top of their jobs at any given time or place, all year long. Using Salesforce makes this possible but also makes these companies dependent on the service. Businesses depend on Salesforce to keep this vital information safe. That’s why a Salesforce backup is essential.
Salesforce allows you to obtain a copy of all your data using the data export feature. You can generate backup files manually once every six days or schedule them to generate automatically at weekly or monthly intervals. The backup file will come to you in the form a zip file that contains all of your organization’s data in a set of CSV (comma separated values) files. If you do not see the data export feature, contact salesforce.com to have the Data Export Service activated.
Follow Step by Step Instructions
1) Click Setup >Data Management > Data Export > Schedule Export.
2) Select the desired encoding for your export file. Leaving the default is fine.
3) Check the Include in export checkbox if you want to include attachments in the export (optional)
4) Leave the default Replace carriage returns with spaces if you want your export files to have spaces instead of carriage returns.
5) Select Weekly as the frequency for the exports.
6) Choose start and end dates. Set the end date to sometime in the distant future such as 20 years from the begin date.
7) Set the time of day for your scheduled export. The export is put in a job queue and the exact time of the export will depend on the amount of activity in the queue.
8) You can select the types of data to include in your export. It is best to include all data in your export file. This will make sure all your organizations data is exported.
9) Click Save
You will receive an email when your export file is ready for download (typically within 48 hours). You have 48 hours from the time the email is sent to download the zip file. Zip files are deleted 48 hours after the email is sent.
Keep in mind the following:
- Formula and roll-up summary fields are never included in exports.
- Articles are not included from exports.
- The export notification email is sent to the email address on file for the user who created the scheduled export. There is no way to indicate another email address. If as an Administrator you want the email to go to another person, have them grant you login access, login as them and schedule the data export.